Thursday, July 8, 2010

Bringing Home the Magical Bacon

Hello, peeps!

Well, just a quick update before I head off to work. I’m really settling in, and things are always happening here, but I’m so busy all the time that it’s hard to keep up!

I’m usually starting work in the afternoon and working ‘til midnight or later. I’m learning so much about my park too. Guests ask the craziest, random questions, and since I’m wearing a nametag, I’m supposed to know everything—so I’m always keeping my eyes and ears open for trivia. Know exactly the time and date that lightning struck the Hollywood Tower Hotel? I do. Oh, and word to the wise? Wherever you’re stationed, make sure you know where the nearest bathroom is, because you’re guaranteed to be asked that at least once.

Rockin’ Roller Coaster is a fun place to work. I work both the gift, cart, and photo registers, stock both the store and the cart, and help out at “preview” where people get to look at their ride pictures. Not my favorite part. People are veeeeeeeery serious about their ride pictures. Criminy. I had one lady buy a $20 8x10 photo because she was sitting next to a guy who was part of the single riders line and it just happened to look like they were together on purpose. She wanted to buy it and put it on facebook so that her ex-husband would be jealous. Wowser.

Tower of Terror has less things to do, but it’s still a great place to interact with guests—by far the best part of the job. We ask themed questions here. Like, instead of saying “how was the ride?” you’d say “did you enjoy your stay at the Hollywood Tower Hotel?” And then when they’re leaving, “Doooooo drop in again (evil chuckle).” You know me. The theatre major really gets a kick out of staying in character like that.

Fantasmic is still my favorite part of my job. I give out “high fours” when I wear a Mickey Mitt to all the kids that walk by. I get to demonstrate and show off some of the coolest toys in the park, and have the option of decking myself out in any kind of glow stuff I want. And yet, I haven’t been to the show since I got here 

I’ve started counting out the registers at night with my coordinators and making drops at the safe. It’s a fun way to end the night.

It’s been a good ride so far. I’m having a lot of fun (but I can’t wait for Jordan to get here!). I’ll keep you guys updated. Any questions so far? I know I’m kinda talking about routine stuff—but there are sooooo many “trade secrets” that can’t end up on the internet. If you want to know anything though, just ask and I’ll try to answer!

Hahahaha, and yes, Mom, people have bought the bathrobes, and that t-shirt was with Mickey and Goofy that said “I suggest you take the stairs.”

Love ya! This is Kelsey Ingle, signing off.

5 comments:

  1. Have you started your classes yet? What are/will you be taking? What are those like???

    -Katy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you 'required' to ride the rides at least once (not like you haven't already I'm sure)?

    ~ Sonja

    ReplyDelete
  3. When did the lightning strike the hotel? What is the name of that movie that tells the story? That was a fun one!

    Do you intermingle with castmembers from other areas? Do you have costume envy? Do they really do your laundry for you?

    Have they started to put up the lights for the Christmas show yet? :) That will be soo cool for you to see over and over!

    Love you babe! Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! I love working with the public! Nobody as hilarious as that divorcée ever comes into my work, though. We just usually get angry, smelly weirdos, with occasional sightings of John Malan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No questions at this time, Kelsey, but I DO want to come visit while you are there! I will BUG BUG BUG you about SECRETS!! lol

    ReplyDelete