Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Training

Hey, all!

WELL, they don't lie, they work you hard here. Today is my first day off since I began work, yeesh!

Training has been a lot of information crammed in to a short amount of time. There have been the general orientations-- like Traditions class that I talked about in my last post, but more recently, training has gotten concentrated, honing in on exactly what my job will be.

I'll be working in Hollywood Studios (formerly MGM Studios) in the area called "Hollywood Hills" which includes Rockin' Roller Coaster, Tower of Terror, and Fantasmic. I'm part of what Disney calls their "Merchantainment" Cast Members, which is a combination of Merchandise + Entertainment.

Training has ranged from being quizzed on where the nearest bathrooms and smoking areas are, to learning the tips and tricks of how to "magic" a guest's day. I might get the opportunity to call Goofy up and have him wish one of the guest's a very special birthday over the phone, trade Disney pins with another collector, or I could point out the Hidden Mickey's in my area.

That's the fun part though-- learning the registers is rough, since we only had one day of practice, and didn't even get into the particulars of our area before we were put on the floor with the full force of the summer crush of people bearing down on us, yipe! I did fine though, phew!

I work in the gift shops at both Tower and Coaster, but I also may be put on "photo" helping guests select and purchase the ride photos that they like. It's fun because they're always laughing at themselves and ready to have a good time.

But my absolute favorite part of the job is working on Fantasmic, the water/fireworks/and special effects show just down the hill from the Tower of Terror. Last night, I wore an apron with... I don't know how many pockets that I could stuff with light-up glow toys. I had so much fun just talking to guests and the kids. Some of the smaller fry were simply mesmerized by this glowing, walking, talking girl-- adorable. By the time I got back to the stock room, I had $500 dollars on me, thank goodness I learned how to count back change the Disney way and quickly. Twice I was given a $100 dollar bill for a $7 purchase-- whoa.

I'm excited to get back out there, but I have tomorrow off too. Hoping to get to the parks again sometime soon! We went out to Toy Story 3 a few days ago, which was FANNNNtastic. Then, stopped by House of Blues on Sunday since it's free to get in for CPs and on top of that it was ladies drink free night! With paid-for bus transportation on top of that... I didn't pay for a thing. Score.

Thanks for reading, everyone! Love ya. Please comment and stay in touch!!

3 comments:

  1. This is sooo much fun to read! I can just see you all of the places.

    I love the Fantasmic arena. It is such an exciting place to wait for a show to begin. The music, someone always starts a "Wave" and the glow toys becoming brighter as the sun goes down. I can just imagine how much fun it must be to sell glow toys!

    I loved getting to the Fantasmic Show. It was always a place to finally sit down after a fun day. The Studio is one of the smallest parks but it always seems like we criss cross it several times to get to shows and Fast Passes.

    I think the Tower of Terror gift shop has some of the best stuff. Has anyone bought a bathrobe from the hotel yet? I remember buying you the black t-shirt with some characters in the elevator - which ones were they?

    I am on the laptop and losing power so I must go - Love you LOTS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kelsey,
    It is wonderful to be able to follow you on your "dream site"!! It sounds as tho you are keeping VERY busy but doing such fun stuff.

    The cottage that your Mom and Dad rented for this week is really great ~ but it is missing only one thing ~ YOU!!! On Wed. we had some very lively additions ~ Mikey and Brian ~ which has made Carly and Sara very happy. Grandpa brought them up on Wednesday. Your Mom was watching the weather as to which day would be the best for a pontoon boat ride and we really "lucked out". It was a beautiful day. We dropped the "4" off at Blueberry Island with makings for a fire and s'mores while the 4 "old people" floated a little off shore having a nice picnic lunch. Lots of tubing and laughs.

    Today the "4" are off to tubing down the Wisconsin River. Your Mom and Carly & Sara did the "kayak thing" on Monday. They could get rained on today but that didn't deter the fearsome "4"!! Your Mom & Dad have just left with the Doodles to hike abit around Bond Falls. If they don't get back in time to pick up the "tubers", Grandpa and I will drive in to pick them up.

    It has been fun having the Doodles with us. After the first night ~ they settled in real well. On the thundering nights, Sparky slept pretty tight to my back!!

    Keep us updated on all of your "doings" ~ I love follwing on your "Goofy Dreams"!!
    Love you so much,
    Nani

    ReplyDelete
  3. You sound soooo busy, Kelsey! Homesick at all? Or do you feel right AT home since you are in your favorite place? Oh, and, BTW, I loved your little hello to all the people you saw on the way down in Indy. Too bad I wasn't one of 'em!!! :)

    ReplyDelete